Rainy Day Outer Banks Activities
The Outer Banks of North Carolina is known for its beautiful beaches and outdoor activities. However, even the best-laid plans can be changed by a rainy day. If you find yourself on Hatteras Island on a rainy day, don't worry! There are plenty of things to do to keep you entertained.
Here are several ideas for rainy day activities if you are staying on Hatteras Island.
Relaxing Rainy Day Activities
- Visit a spa. There are a number of spas and wellness centers in the Outer Banks. You can get a massage, facial, or mani/pedi.
- Go to a salon like Salt Magnolia Salon & Boutique in Hatteras. There are a number of other salons on Hatteras Island where you can get your hair cut, colored, or styled.
- Relax at a coffee shop such as Orange Blossom in Buxton or Dancing Turtle Coffee Shop in Hatteras Village. You can get a cup of coffee, tea, or hot chocolate and relax with a good book.
Rainy Day Shopping on Hatteras Island
There are a number of shops and boutiques in the Outer Banks. You can find everything from souvenirs to clothing to art to items needed for your next outdoor activity.
- Try a local bookstore like Buxton Village Books in Buxton. Check out their Indie Bestsellers.
- Take a drive and you'll see many other unique shops and boutiques in each town along Hatteras Island.
Kid Friendly Rainy Day Activities
- Go to Uglie Mugs Coffee, walk to the back of the store, and make your own custom jewelry with your kids.
- Visit one of the indoor museums and historic sites in the Outer Banks such as Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum, expected to open back up in late 2023.
- Go to a restaurant. There are many restaurants in the Outer Banks. You can find everything from seafood to Italian to Mexican food.
- Visit the Hatteras Library and look for a new book or see if any children's events are planned.
- Visit the Outer Banks Aquarium. Located on Roanoke Island, this is a very popular rainy day destination.
- Hit the arcade and let the kids enjoy themselves! There's an X-Treme Arcade next to the Simply OBX in Avon.
- Check what's playing at the Pioneer Theater in Manteo, NC.
- Watch a movie. The only movie theater on Hatteras Island has unfortunately closed, partially due to the fact that many homes have private theater rooms. You can catch the latest blockbuster or a classic film in the comfort of your own home!
- Play games. Most vacation homes provide games you play indoors. Or, bring your own board game, play cards, or just have a game of charades. Or if your beach home has a game table, have a family pool or shuffleboard tournament!
- Take the kids on a fun shopping trip and have fun with it!
Rainy Day Artistic Activities
- Stop by local art galleries such as Pea Island Art Gallery in Salvo or Blue Pelican Gallery Gifts & Yarn in Hatteras Village.
- Find some handmade pottery in the Outer Banks at Kinnakeet Clay Studio in Avon, NC.
- Take a cooking class. Try an Outer Banks Cooking Class located in Kill Devil Hills. You can learn how to make your favorite dishes or try something new.
Active Rainy Day Activities
- Hit the gym. There are a number of gyms and fitness centers on Hatteras Island. You can work out, swim, or take a class. Some vacation homes also have in-home exercise rooms.
- Go to an indoor yoga studio such as Community Yoga in Frisco and relax and de-stress with a yoga class. Check their web site for weekday events.
- Go bowling. There is a bowling alley in Nags Head. You can bowl a few games or just hang out and play arcade games.
- If the weather isn't too bad or if the wet ground puts a damper on your beach plans, try fishing at one of the local fishing spots. Make sure to check the fishing report before you go out.
Adult Rainy Day Activities
- Visit Lighthouse Sports Bar on Hatteras Island and have a drink, play some pool or throw some darts.
- Find yourself a nice bottle of wine at Island Spice & Wine in Avon.
- Take a day trip to Ocracoke on the passenger or vehicle ferry and visit 1718 Brewery, named for when Blackbeard was killed on Ocracoke Island in 1718. The craft beer and the food are all delicious!
- If you are so inclined, try amanita muscaria, available at the storefront pictured above.
Rainy Day Conclusion
As you can see, if you're traveling to the Outer Banks for a week there's likely more rainy day activities than you could fit in during your stay. Keep in mind, it doesn't have to rain to try out these activities. Everything you see here is just as fun when its dry out!