Renting a beach house vs. staying in a hotel on Hatteras Island: Which is right for you?
When planning a beach vacation on Hatteras Island, there are two main options for accommodations: renting a beach house or staying in a hotel. Both have their own advantages and disadvantages, so it's important to weigh them carefully before making a decision.
Renting a beach house on Hatteras Island
Renting a beach house is a great option for families or groups of friends who want to have their own space and privacy. Beach houses typically come with a full kitchen, so you can save money by cooking your own meals. They also often have amenities like private pools, hot tubs, game rooms, and theater rooms, which can add to the fun of your vacation. The best part is you don't have to share these amenities with strangers.
One of the biggest advantages of renting a beach house is that it can be cheaper than staying in a hotel, especially when you factor in the cost of food. For example, if you have a family of four, you could easily spend $100 per day on food if you were staying in a hotel. But if you rented a beach house with a full kitchen, you could probably save half of that.
Another huge advantage of renting a beach house is that you have more privacy. In a hotel, you're sharing walls with other guests, and you may have to deal with noise from the pool or other areas. But in a beach house, you can relax and enjoy your vacation without worrying about disturbing anyone else.
Staying in a Hotel on Hatteras Island
Hotels do offer some advantages, including:
- Convenience: Hotels are typically located in central locations, so you can easily walk or take public transportation to restaurants, shops, and attractions. Some houses may offer this as well.
- Flexibility: Hotels allow stays as short as 1 night. If you only want a very short stay, then a hotel might be the better option.
However, hotels also have several disadvantages, including:
- Cost: It's counter-intuitive, but hotels are significantly more expensive than beach houses. This is true whether you are booking in peak season or off season. This is especially the case when sharing a beach house with a group of family and/or friends. If you compare the cost of a bedroom in a house to the cost of a hotel, the beach house almost always comes out cheaper.
- Privacy: In a hotel, you're sharing walls with other guests, and you may have to deal with noise from the pool or other areas. You can often hear guests living above you, and those in your party may cause noise for other guests below you. You'll also be sharing amenities such as pool, hot tub, game areas, etc. Even worse: you have no choice in who you share these amenities with.
- Crowds: Beaches are often much more crowded in front of a hotel when compared to renting a beach house.
- Check-in process: Hotels often require you to wait in line to check-in. Beach houses often provide keyless check-in for a much quicker check-in process. You simply enter your home when you're ready.
If you take the cost of your beach house and split it among the number of bedrooms, it usually comes out less than the cost of a motel and you get a better vacation to boot.
Hotels & Motels at Cape Hatteras
Vacation homes provide more privacy for your family gatherings. Motels are actually more expensive than a private home with private amenities. Hotels typically have heavier crowds on the beaches, and you spend more time waiting in line to check in rather than enjoying your vacation. Vacation homes are a trend that is catching on nationwide, which is why you often see more vacation homes than hotels in many areas of the outer banks, including Hatteras Island.
Which Lodging Is Best
So, which is right for you: renting a beach house or staying in a hotel on Hatteras Island? It really depends on your individual needs and preferences. If you're looking for a more affordable option with more privacy, then renting a beach house is the way to go. But if you're looking for a 1 or 2-night short stay, then a hotel is a better choice.
Here are some additional things to consider when making your decision:
- The size of your group: If you're traveling with a large group, a beach house is a better option than a hotel. You'll have more space to spread out and relax. You can also spend more private time with your family in common areas on the home.
- Your budget: If you're on a tight budget, renting a beach house is often less expensive than a hotel.
- Your needs and preferences: Do you need a lot of amenities? Do you want to be able to walk to restaurants and shops? Do you value privacy?